Thursday, May 6, 2010

Update: What is Next?

So what is going on everybody? This blog has been a bit quiet recently right? Yeah...That is kind of sad. I really don't like that and wish I could do more about that. Still a few things has been happening since the last post involving different things and this blog too.

First off, let me explain a reason why I started this blog. In case you don't know, I am a college student that has to take many different classes and one of them was Introduction to Women Studies. It is a very fun class and really opened my eyes to many topics that I knew before while also some I didn't know. As part of that class I had to do an activism project about a topic of choice. So I thought about it and decided that I should tackle the treatment of women in anime. After a few other things, I was able to kick off this blog and that is how Females in Anime came to be!

Still concerning that class, a little bit after the last post, I got swamped with papers which one of them included a report on how this blog/project did and a presentation. Then after that, other school stuff happen and I been tired out since then.

Also, I do have another blog and it needed tending outside of the normal things I usually do for it. So I had to invest some of my free time towards that one. Add that to the schoolwork and that leaves you a very tired blogger.

 I should just grab this screencap from my Ouran DVDs instead of Google...

So what is next for Females in Anime? I mean my project for the class is done so I have no real reason to keep blogging. Well you know what, I had so much fun doing this blog that I am going to keep on doing it. Each post was enjoyable even though there were times when I had no idea what I would be talking about. It also seem like a good place for others to talk about how things are in anime but I also hope it has educate some people too who didn't notice how females are portrayed in anime. This blog is a nice change of pace compare what I normally do so it was a breath of fresh air you can say. So the enjoyment of me doing this blog and whatever 'education' value is my reason to keep blogging and the enjoyment it self is good enough for me!

Also there is so much more I can do with this blog. I only touched the surface when it came to females character types in anime. There are just so many to go over. Some of them I never realized until they were brought to my attention and others are some that we most likely all know. Then there is the male side of the issue. Females are not the only ones who face stereotypes in animes and males do have their own share of images that animes seem to give them. It will be interesting to discuss some of those since not all of them are good (I mean in reality I am a skinny guy and in no way do I look like Goku).

Then maybe some guests could come up and give their own two cents. That way you don't have to listen to me rant- I mean discuss on these different topics. Also something that I wanted to do which I didn't have the chance to do was to have a roundtable discussion with other people about the treatment of women in Japan and how this reflects in Japan. Not sure if it is still possible but something that would be to cool to do later on.

Now I am pumped to keep going with this blog! I am getting rest up and fueled right now so I can run out of the gate with new posts! I am not sure when I will have a new post up but to give you a peak behind the curtain I will let you know that right now there is a post that is half way done. So there is one post at least that will be out soon. Then there are many different character types that I want to just rip apart and give my two cents about them. Wait...rip apart? Umm...I mean discuss! Yes! That....Meh. Rip apart sounds better. haha Still expect postings for this blog to be few, maybe three or four times a month since I am in no rush like before to get a lot of post in during a three week span.

Also if there are any character types that you would like me to look at then feel free to email me at onepieceatatimeblog (at) gmail (dot) come or leave a comment in this post. If you don't know what to name the character type then just try to name it and give me a description along with a few examples of this character type. 

Going to see you guys soon!

3 comments:

  1. How about you do one on warrior women! classic stuff like bubblegum crisis, battle angel alita, your under arrest, all purpose cat girl nuku nuku. I guess thats all shonen anime where women are the lead huh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous

    Warrior women sounds cool. Mind giving me some more modern day examples since I am afraid a lot of the older anime series are above me. Still I look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got two groups you could have a go at;
    The silent swordswoman. Aoyama Motoko (Love Hina) is the first that comes to mind for me. I think you know the type; stoic, silent, violent.
    The Yamato Nadesico. Kasumi Tendo (Ranma ½), Belldandy (Ah! My Godess), Yanagi Sakoshita (Recca no Honoo), Tsumugi Kotobuki (K-On), Mizuho Kazami (Onegai Teacher). Give me a shout if you want me to rant on this one. =P

    ReplyDelete